If you follow my blog and my social media channels, you know I love to collaborate with brands that I love. Most of them have a Latin connection, delivering a healthy product or have amazing technological advances.
In this recipe, I am collaborating with Familia Kitchen and Casa M Spice Co™️ for a Father’s Day recipe post. Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce and boy is this a delicious easy to make dish!
Here is the article by Familia Kitchen discussing our recipe collaboration and my ties to it as well. I hope you like it!
“This skirt steak with chimichurri spiced to savory perfección is what Dad really wants for Father’s Day, says Belqui Ortiz-Millilli of Belqui’s Twist, one of Familia Kitchen’s favorite homecooks.
To celebrate the dad in your life like a rey on his day, Belqui recommends stocking up on Casa M Spice Co.’s Cattle Drive blend. Hand-crafted with black pepper, onion, and other secret spices in its proprietary formula, Casa M’s Cattle Drive spice mix is designed to bring out the natural flavors of beef. It is low-salt, made with all-natural ingredients, and adds a light touch of sugar that helps form a bark that caramelizes as the carne cooks.
Thank you Casa M Spice Co. for creating a special Father’s Day offer for our Familia Kitchen and Belqui’s Twist community of homecooks and home grillers. Enter the code CDSAVE20 when you order Casa M’s Cattle Drive beef spice blend—and save 20%. But hurry! Order your spice mix before this offer ends on Father’s Day, June 19.
(How cool is that? Dad gets the grill-worthy spices he loves and you save 20 porciento.)
To make her husband David’s Sunday extra special this Father’s Day, Belqui will host a family party at their home in Arizona. The star of the food spread will be his favorite cut of beef: skirt steak. “We Latinos living in the U.S. love to grill, and when we grill, I’ve noticed we usually make skirt steak,” says Belqui, whose food blog specializes in the food she grew up cooking in her Dominican family in both New York and the D.R. ”Back home in the Dominican Republic, we don’t do barbecues as much as we do here. I also find that skirt steak its more affordable and accessible here in the States than it was back home. I think that’s why in the U.S., all my family and friends—from Dominicans to Puerto Ricans to Mexicans and everyone I know—skirt steak is one of our favorite cuts of beef to grill.”
Agree! Skirt steak is our grill go-to here at Familia Kitchen, too. It is so juicy, chars beautifully and quickly on the parilla, and slices like a dream—making it the perfect cut for tacos, stews and so many traditional dishes.
Two final cooking tips from Belqui. Don’t forget to tenderize it with a mallet before your season and grill it, says Belqui. It makes all the difference, breaking down the muscle fibers and collagen in the beef, resulting in a lush steak that tastes extra smooth and delicioso. And, during and after grilling, drizzle the steak with Argentinian chimichurri for extra sabor. And not just any chimichurri! Belqui is making a special batch of Familia Kitchen’s Your Favorite Chimichurri Recipe Contest winning recipe.
Muchos thanks and felicidades to family-famous Argentinian homecook Marta Raquel Serrano, for her winning recipe of this classic, meat-enhancing garlic-parsley sauce. Her chimi does pack a little heat, warns Belqui, so be sure to adjust the amount of crushed red pepper, according to your heat tolerance. Belqui and her husband used 1 Tbsp (the recipe calls for 2 Tbsp).
”This Father’s Day recipe for David is influenced by a combination of Cuban and Mexican influences for the steak. And then of course the Argentinian chimichurri, which everyone in our family—not just Dad—loves,” says Belqui. For Dad-worthy sides to this skirt steak, may we recommend you serve it with traditional tostones, Belqui’s own Dominican rice and beans, and a simple green salad with red onion?
Here to your Father’s Day celebración. Feliz dia de los padres a todas los dads! Happy grilling on Sunday June 19—and every time you grill this skirt steak recipe—from Belqui, Casa M Spice Co., and FamiliaKitchen.com.”
Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1 bunch parsley finely minced
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 to 2 tbsp red pepper flakes measure to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
For the steak
- 2 lbs skirt steak 60% of the fat removed
- 4 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp Chimichurri Sauce
- 6 tbsp Casa M Spice™️ Cattle Drive or to taste
- Finely chop the parsley leaves into tiny pieces.
- Peel and finely mince about 5 to 6 garlic cloves.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
Season the steaks
- Preheat grill to 500° degrees.
- Brush both sides of the skirt steak with an even amount of honey, chimichurri sauce and Casa M Spice™️ Cattle Drive spice mix. Drizzle a small amount of chimichurri over the length of the steak.
Cook the steaks
- When the grill is heated to 500° degrees, place the skirt steak on the grill.
- For medium rare, grill for 2 minutes on one side and 2 to 3 minutes on the second (grill covered).
- For medium, grill for 3 ½ minutes per side (grill covered).
- For well done, grill for 4 to 4 ½ minutes per side for well done (grill covered).
- Remember, every grill is different so go by your experience with your grill.
- Place the steak on a cutting board or serving plate. Let it sit for about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Once sliced, top with chimichurri sauce and accompany with your favorite sides.