In the culinary universe, the Caribbean offers an intoxicating blend of influences that can be felt across its rich tapestry of dishes. The region’s vibrant spices, tropical fruits, and fresh seafood have a way of enchanting our palates with the spirit of sun, sand, and ocean. Today, we are venturing to the crossroads of land and sea to explore a dish that incorporates the tantalizing flavors of the Caribbean and a little bit of Mexico, into an everyday staple: pork chops. These aren’t just any pork chops, though. They’re Caribbean-Mexican-inspired, Cheese and Sweet Plantain Stuffed Pork Chops, cooked to perfection in an air fryer.
The delicious ginger honey glaze takes it up a notch. Yes, I cannot help myself, I had to twist this in every way possible. So let’s embark on this flavorful journey together.
Prepping the Pork Chops
First, we’ll need to create pockets in our pork chops for stuffing. With a sharp knife, slice into the side of each chop, ensuring not to cut through to the other side. Once done, you are prepared to stuff. Remember, this needs to be a thick cut Pork chop.
Creating the Stuffing
Peel and slice your plantains. Over medium heat, pan fry the slices until they are golden and caramelized, a hint of the sweet treat they are about to become. In this video, you can watch me make them, https://belquistwist.com/traditional-dominican-green-and-yellow-fried-plantains-with-mojo-sauce/. Once cooked, place on a plate and set them aside. Cut Queso Fresco into 1 inch slices. I used one slice per pork chop.
Stuffing and prepping The Chops
Fill each pork chop with 2 slices of the fried plantains and the slice of Queso Fresco cheese, stuffing it into the pocket you cut earlier. Then sprinkle with black pepper and sea salt to taste.
Air Frying the stuffed pork chops
Place the stuffed pork chops inside, and cook at 380°F for 12 to 15 minutes for one side. In the meantime, you’ll prepare the glaze. Recipe is below.
Once the 15 minutes are up, turn the pork chops over and brush with some of the glaze you just prepared. Air fry for another 8 minutes. Remove, turn over and again, brush glaze over that side. Airfy for another 3 to 5 minutes and enjoy!
Note: Air frying not only provides a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods but also gives the chops a wonderfully crisp exterior while keeping the interior juicy and tender.
What sides are recommended with these stuffed pork chops?
Enjoy your stuffed pork chops with a side of rice and beans and a refreshing salad. I even like it with some mashed potatoes.
No matter what you choose, the fusion of flavors will transport you, I guarantee! Buen apetito!
Cheese and Sweet Plantain Stuffed Pork Chops
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- 8 fried yellow plantain slices Goya, has ready frozen ones you can fry.
- 4 slices of Mexican Queso Crema
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp olive oil one for each pork chop
For the Ginger Honey glaze
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 5 tbsp honey
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Cut fat off the edges of the edges of the pork chops.
- With a knife, slice and create a pocket in the middle of the pork chop.
- Stuff with the fried sweet plantains and cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Top with olive oil and massage in well on both sides.
- Place in the air fryer and airfry at 380° for 15 minutes.
- While it fries, start making the glaze.
Making the glaze
- Add all ingredients except the parsley to a small bowl and whisk well. Set aside.
- When the first 15 minutes are up, turn the pork chops over. Brush glaze on that side and airfry for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- Ater the 8 minutes are up, turn over again, brush the glaze over both and airfry 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and enjoy!