This a recipe I created about 7 or 8 years ago. One of my oldest non-Latin recipes. I wanted to create something like a meatball but that was super flavorful without having to season the meat itself and this was it!
I chopped up veggies, any veggie you have on hand is good, btw. Not just what you see me use here. As long as you know how quickly each veggie cooks, make sure to cut them accordingly.
Because I know the benefit of searing meats, how the process seals in the flavors, I choose to do that instead of adding the sausage straight into the vegetables without being seared. If I did straight into the vegetables there will be a lot of liquid aside from the fat being released from the sausage. That will make the sausage take a long time to cook and become that beautiful golden brown we love to see in our cooked meats.
Make ahead tips:
Chop all vegetables and place in a sealed bag or container and refrigerate until ready to cook the casserole. Once ready, season following directions.
Prep the sausage into small balls and place on a flat plate, covered and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Can I replace the vegetables?
Yes! you can replace to any vegetables you prefer most but… my advice is to stay away from vegetables that contain a lot of water. In my opinion, vegetables like broccoli become a total moosh and release alot alot water into the dish. A great substitute is cauliflower. ????
Potato Sausage Casserole
- 1 24 oz bag fingerling potatoes (or new potatoes) cut in small chunks about 1 inch in size
- 1 medium yellow onion cut in chunks
- 1 red pepper sliced and cut in two or in chunks if preferred
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 5 links sweet (mild or hot) Italian sausage casings removed/cut in up to 8 pieces and rolled into tiny meatballs
- Preheat oven to 375º degrees.
- Cut potatoes into one inch pieces, skin on. Place in a large bowl.
- Cut the peppers and onions into chunks or slices. Place into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Add garlic, paprika, salt, pepper and olive oil to the bowl with the vegetables.
- Mix well and place in a large baking dish. Distribute evenly.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes or until you are ready to put the sausage in.
- In the meantime, prep the sausage links.
- Remove the casings and cut each link into 6 to 8 pieces.
- For the pieces into small balls but do it lightly as to not pack the meat too tightly.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown the sausage by adding a few at a time. watch my video for reference.
- Once you have some browning, take vegetables out of the oven.
- Place browned sausage balls over the vegetables and carefully mix all ingredients together.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until all vegetables (especially thee potatoes) are cooked through.
- Make sure to stir every 10 minutes.