Loving this Black Bean Cilantro Saffron Rice! I know, the name is super long but I really wanted the key ingredients to be in its title. Now, if you have ever had saffron you know that this dish will be super tasty, not to mention all the other ingredients as well. Combined, well, they will send you to sensory heaven because the flavor is amazing!
I made this rice to go with my Roasted Butterflied Latin Style Chicken and the pairing couldn’t have been better. I know some don’t love cilantro, so if you are one of those people, just leave it out and it’ll be just fine.
Black Bean Cilantro Saffron Rice
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs adobo Goya
- 1 pinch saffron about 5 to 6 threads
- 1/3 cup Mazola Corn Oil
- 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed (I used fresh but you can use canned as well.
- 1 small can of corn I used white because its my preferred corn
- 1 handful cilantro chopped
- Over high heat, add water, broth, salt, adobo to a deep pot and stir.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Add saffron, stir and wait for water to evaporate.
- Once water evaporates, lower heat to simmer (low) and add oil. Stir well.
- Add the beans and stir gently as to not break them up.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Once 20 minutes are up, stir gently, add corn and cilantro and stir gently again.
- Cover for another 5 minutes and enjoy!
Made this and followed most of recipe. Flavors good but way too much salt for me. My abodo Goya had salt in it so I was questioning the amount of salt but decided to try and follow…I only used chicken broth that was salted and the abodo that was salted and did not add the extra salt. And it was still too salty
So beware. Not sure if there’s an adobo goya that’s not salted. Will try again with much less salt
Hi! Thank you so much for pointing this out! I made a mistake in the ingredient amount for the salt! I am so thankful you did that. It’s 1 tsp. Interestingly, several people have made it and not said anything about it being salty, but it had to be. I appreciate you so much!
Natalie Rodriguez says
So I made this last week and I followed recipe as noted. I thought it had good taste and definitely something different from the usual menu. Both my 5yo and 4yo also ate with no problem. However, my husband said he didn’t care for the rice, the taste was not to his liking.
It’s interesting because I think it’s a hit or miss for this recipe. Some people like it and some people don’t. I always wonder if the cilantro has something to do with it. I have friends that don’t mind cilantro super cooked down but when there is fresh cilantro, they say it tastes like soap to them. Did your husband explain what he didn’t care for?