I am obsessed with my instant pot! Why? because I can cook things like the ribs in this recipe in an amazingly short amount of time. And trust me, as a mom, time is of the essence.
These BBQ ribs are sheer perfection. I went with spare ribs but you can also go with baby back ribs that should be a bit less fatty. I just love the moisture I get from the spare ribs. Either way, you cannot go wrong. Just make sure that the ribs are cut in smaller pieces so they fit well in the instant pot.
I buy my ribs at my local Asian market because they have an array of ribs cut and ready to go. That is a great time saver for me as a busy mom.
Instant Pot BBQ Ribs
- 2 lbs spare ribs or baby back ribs cut in small pieces
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- meat tenderizer, seasoned this will be used liberally
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce use your favorite brand
- green onions chopped, for garnish
- On a cutting board, lay all the ribs in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with the seasoned meat tenderizer liberally on both sides.
- With a fork, prick each of the ribs a few times. As you are doing this, the fork will push some of the tenderizer into the meat.
- Add water and apple cider vinegar to the instant pot.
- Place the trivet in the instant pot.
- Now add the seasoned ribs.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot.For spare ribs: Cook on high for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release completely (about 15 to 20 minutes). When the pin drops, it is ready to open.For baby back ribs: Cook on high pressure for 23 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes, then vent to release the rest of the pressure. Wait til the pin drops to open.If you are stacking the ribs, add two minutes to cooking time.
- Once ribs are done and pressure is done releasing, place in either a baking pan or a cast iron skillet. Make sure to place in a single layer.
- Set your oven to broil on high.
- Brush the ribs with the barbecue sauce thoroughly.
- Once oven is hot, I give mine 5 minutes, place the ribs on the highest rack and broil for 3 minutes or until the ribs get some good color and the barbecue sauce is caramelized.
- Top with minced green onions and enjoy!