I am a huge oxtail fan but if I have to be honest, my favorite has always been Dominican oxtails. No matter how many of them I have tried in different cuisines I still come back to these to get my cravings met. That says a lot.
In Dominican Republic, we call them Rabo Encendido or Rabo Guisado. In my family it was always called just Rabo because we only cooked stewed/guisado. So when my mom/grandmother/aunt or anyone in my family said that word, we all knew exactly what they were talking about.
In this blog, I have shared the way we typically make it. You will cook it for hours. The cut makes a difference and even if cut thin by your butcher, you can still be looking at 2-1/2 hours or so. The thick ones, which is what I find here in AZ where I live now, can take me about 4 hours to get to the tenderness I look for. That is a long time looking over your stove.
I went on a quest to get them perfected in the Instant Pot and I am very happy to report that after several tries, I did it! Today I get to share the recipe with you. Done in less than half the time, super tender and the taste is as original as can be!
Here is the link to my traditionally cooked Dominican Oxtail Stew – Rabo Encendido – Rabo Guisado
What are RECOMMENDED sides to have with oxtail stew?
Instant Pot Oxtail Stew – Rabo Encendido – Rabo Guisado
Oxtail and seasoning
Instant pot cooking
- 2 tbsp corn oil
- 1/4 yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup peppers or just one pepper I used yellow but you can combine colors
- 1/4 cup manzanilla olives chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- seasoning liquid left in the bowl
- 3 tbsp water
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- Rinse your oxtails and thoroughly drain.
- Season oxtails with garlic powder, soy sauce, adobo, oregano, white vinegar and red wine. Mix well. You can refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight. You can also immediately cook. But the longer it seasons, the better flavor it will have.
- Set Instant Pot to Sauté mode, add oil and heat up for a few minutes.
- Once oil is heated, add the oxtails and lightly brown all sides. Reserve the liquid from the seasoning.
- After browning the oxtails, add the seasoning liquid into the Instant Pot and the water. Stir.
- Add onions, peppers, olives and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Set Instant pot to High Pressure and cook for 50 minutes.
- Once the cooking is done, allow pressure to release on it own for 15 minutes.
- Uncover carefully.
- Move oxtails to serving dish with desired amount of sauce.
- Top with with chopped cilantro and enjoy!