Ropa Vieja is a classic Cuban dish. If you haven’t had it, you must make it or run to your nearest Cuban restaurant because it is one of those dishes you have to have at least once in your lifetime.
According to www.revoluciondecuba.com, “It’s name literally translates to ‘old clothes’ and the story goes that a penniless old man once shredded and cooked his own clothes because he could not afford food for his family. He prayed over the bubbling concoction and a miracle occurred, turning the mixture into a tasty, rich meat stew.”
All I can say is that if this is true, it is a real miracle. For now, I just want to share with you my version made in the instant pot. And it was not a miracle, I literally had to buy the meat and get it in this instant pot. LOL
For the past year, I have focused on shortening cooking times when it comes to my favorite beef recipes and I am on a roll! This one is optimum in flavor and you will not go back to cooking hours and hours for that perfect Ropa Vieja.
What sides are usually served with Ropa Vieja?
Usually you will have black beans, white rice and fried plantains, either yellow or green. In this blog you’ll find my Dominican versions but we are very similar in how Cubans cook these recipes. So I am close enough.
Have fun with your Ropa Vieja!
I am all about twists, so I have made tacos, stuffed puff pastry, and more with my leftover Ropa Vieja. My point is to get creative! You will be surprised what you will come up with. I am going to share them soon and share the links right here.
Instant Pot Ropa Vieja
- 6 lbs chuck roast cut into about 7 pieces, excess fat removed
- 2 tbsp dry sazón seasoning I used Loisa
- 2 tbsp adobo I used Loisa
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp corn or canola oil
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp ground oregano
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced, any colors you prefer
- 1/2 cup manzanilla olives sliced and some of it liquid
- After prepping the beef, season with sazón, adobo, salt and pepper.
- Set instant pot to "sauté" and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add a few of the chunks of beef and brown them. Make sure that there is no overlapping. If needed, work in batches.
- Once done, place all the beef back in the instant pot.
- Set instant pot to "pressure cook" on "high".
- Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, bay leaf, red wine vinegar, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, onions, peppers and olives.
- Cover the instant pot and set to 60 minutes.
- After the 60 minutes are up. Do the "natural release". That should be about 15 minutes. At this point you carefully push the valve to "venting" to release any remaining pressure.
- Remove beef with a strainer spoon. Top with the peppers, onions and olives and some of the liquid in the instant pot to keep the Ropa Vieja moist.
- Serve with desired sides and enjoy!