The other day I was wondering how I could Latinize rice krispie treats. I ended up settling on plantain chips because they are salty and rice krispie treats are super sweet. That is a perfect combination right there. Sweet and Salty.
When I tested the recipe, I found that although the treats were still very sweet, the plantain chips cut it down a little bit which I really liked.
I chose plantain chips but what I like about rice krispie treats is that you can put anything you want in them. Chocolate chips, is a great example. You can also coat with chocolate after you’ve transferred it to the pan, top with sprinkles for a kids party, the possibilities are endless.
Plantain Rice Krispie Treats
- 1/2 cup plantain chips (separate in half) crushed
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 10 oz marshmallows usually a whole bag is this size
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tbsp butter
- Crush the plantain chips. I do so by placing the chips is a ziploc bag and using a rolling pin to crush then chips.
- In a small bowl, mix the honey and half the crushed plantain chips.
- In another small bowl, melt the butter. It should be about 30 seconds. Make sure to cover it because it could splatter a bit.
- In a large bowl, melt the marshmallows. For a minute first and then 10 second intervals until ready. Stir well.
- Add the melted butter and honey mixture. Mix well.
- Add the rice krispies and slowly mix well. In about a minute you should have a good mix going.
- In a parchment paper lined baking dish (9 x 11), spread the marshmallow mixture as flat as possible. I used an extra spatula to help me with that.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crushed plantain chips over top.
- Now, this next step is not necessary but I like how toasty the plantain chips and the top of the rice krispies get. If you choose not to broil, skip this step and continue on to the next.
- Set broiler on HIGH and place the rice krispies dish in for just 3 minutes.
- Once done, set aside and allow to cool down for a minimum of 10 minutes. You can speed it up by refrigerating it for about 5 minutes.
- Now that it's cooled down, remove parchment paper from underneath, place on a cutting board and cut into 12 squares or the shape of your preference.
- You can store in a container on your countertop if desired. There is no need to refrigerate.