Now this is one of my favorite ways to eat shrimp, with bacon! This Shrimp and Bacon Stew is a take on another recipe I used to make years ago by The South Beach Diet. A little less healthy but boy is the flavor insane! Add to that the fact that you add hot sauce, and now we are talking out of this world!
What size of shrimp should you get?
I prefer medium shrimp because they aren’t too small nor too big. and I feel they cook perfectly with this recipe and its sauce.
To buy fresh or frozen shrimp?
You may be surprised to learn that your grocery store seafood counter is likely thawing out the shrimp and charging more for the shrimp you get from their counter. How do I know this? because one day I wanted “fresh” shrimp from the seafood counter and they were out of shrimp. the gentleman behind the counter told me to just grab a frozen bag because that is what they do and up the price because they did so.
Since then, I ask every seafood counter just to get the same response back. So no more counter shrimp, I now buy frozen and save some pennies. If convenience is what you are looking for, then the counter shrimp is just what you need.
Shrimp and Bacon Stew
- 2 lbs medium shrimp cleaned and deveined
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks sliced thin
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Hot sauce to taste I do a few splashes of Franks Hot Sauce
- Cut bacon in small strips.
- Chop onions and celery.
- In a large deep skillet, over medium high heat, cook the bacon until it is golden.
- Remove the bacon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the onions and celery to the bacon drippings and cook until they start becoming translucent. About 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds.
- Add tomates, bay leaves, pepper, Worcestershire Sauce and hot sauce. Stir and cover. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add shrimp, stir and make sure the shrimp is evenly distributed in the skillet. Top with the cooked bacon. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, stir the shrimp and cover for another 5 minutes or until the shrimp is cooked through.