How much do I love a good potato salad? Well, let’s not get into that! LOL but trust me, a whole lot!
I grew up eating this amazing Dominican Potato Egg Salad not just only on Thanksgiving but at cookouts and family get togethers. It is served cold, so very easy to take to others homes for potlucks.
This is my mother’s recipe. The one that I grew up eating and the one dearest to my heart. A variation to this recipe is adding red beets. Yes! And they do taste amazing in this salad. Growing up though, my brother and I hated red beets (because they were red, hahaha), so my mom always excluded them. As an adult I appreciate them so much. For this recipe though, I kept them out because I know some people aren’t very fond of beets. If you decide to add beets, you can go the easy route by buying canned red beets that are sliced. You just have to drain them and chop them up a bit. Of course, your potato salad will turn pink. So be ready for that!
I also love this salad because it’s a great make-ahead. Make it the night before, refrigerate as directed and then sprinkle some cilantro (or none) at serving time. Voila!
In this season of giving and being thankful, I am thankful for you!
Dominican Potato Egg Salad
- 5 lb bag russet potatoes peeled, cut in 2 inch chunks and boil
- 10 eggs boiled
- 3 large carrots peeled, chopped in small chunks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs salt
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- Peel potatoes. Cut in 2 inch chunks and boil until tender but not so tender that they break apart. Place in a bowl and allow to cool down.
- Peel carrots and cut in small thin chunks. Boil until tender but not breaking apart. Place in the bowl with the potatoes and allow to cool down.
- Boil eggs, let cool, peel and chop as preferred. Add to potatoes and carrots bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, salt and vinegar. Stir well.
- Add the mayonnaise to the potatoes, carrots and eggs and blend in well, gently.
- Add olive oil mixture and blend in well, gently.
- Move the potato salad to its serving platter, cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Once ready to serve, either decorate with some cilantro leaves in the center for presentation or sprinkle chopped cilantro.
I’m actually a youtuber “The Empress Vlogs” is my YouTube channel name. My son is half Dominican. I’m a single mom looking for Dominican recipes and I fell in love with this dish! Thank you so much way better than the average potato salad! You just enhanced My original All American potatoe salad recipe! Hahaha! Thanks again!
This is awesome to read! Thank you so much for letting me know you liked it! I will also check out your blog!