There’s something undeniably satisfying about creating a meal from ingredients on hand, especially when it results in a dish as delicious as this Pancetta Sausage Pasta. I had a package of diced pancetta in my fridge and was thinking of what I could do with it aside from the normal recipes I use it in and then I came up with this idea as I also had sweet Italian sausage links in my fridge. It came together in about 40 minutes and it was loved by each and everyone of us. In this recipe, I wanted to elevate the flavors of the pancetta by incorporating it into a rich, creamy pasta dish that sings with Italian-inspired goodness.
Let’s explore the ingredients
Pancetta: The Star of Italian Cuisine
Pancetta, an Italian bacon made from pork belly, brings a salty, savory punch to any dish it graces. Unlike its smoky American counterpart, pancetta is cured with salt and various spices like nutmeg, pepper, fennel, and cloves, contributing to its distinct flavor profile. It’s a staple in Italian cooking, often used to add depth to sauces, soups, and pasta dishes. From the famed carbonara to rich pasta sauces and even in soups, its ability to impart a distinctive umami depth makes it a cherished ingredient in kitchens worldwide.
Creating my Pancetta Sausage Pasta
- Store-bought cubed pancetta
- Sweet Italian sausage, casing removed and formed into small pieces
- Onions and garlic for aromatic depth
- Chicken broth for savory undertones
- Heavy cream for a luscious, creamy texture
- Pasta of your choice
Can I use a different type of sausage?
Yes! When it comes to Italian sausage, feel free to use mild, and hot as well. I like sweet and mild for the most part. I also encourage you to try other sausage types you find at your market. The flavor in this sauce is not overpowering so it can handle different flavors of sausages. The pancetta will only help to add a flavory layer to the dish.
Whether it’s a quick weeknight dinner or a special gathering, this dish promises satisfaction with every bite. Buon appetito!
Check out my other Sausage recipes!
- 4 oz store-bought cubed pancetta I used Boar's Head Uncured Pancetta
- 4 links sweet, mild or hot Italian sausage casing removed and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth more if needed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 lb pasta of your choice I used Campanelle
- basil chopped for garnishing
- grated parmesan for topping
Preparing the Pancetta and Sausage
- Begin by sautéing the cubed pancetta over medium high heat until it becomes golden brown. Set it aside. Keep its juices.
- In the same pan, add the prepared sweet Italian sausage. Allow it to brown, rendering flavorful juices.
- Once browned, add the onions and garlic. Cook for about 2 minutes.
Building the Sauce
- Introduce chicken broth, heavy cream and the pasta.
- Make sure to stir and submerge pasta as much as you can. You may add a bit more chicken broth if needed.
- Cover, cook on low for 15 minutes. Check and stir a few times to make sure it all cooks evenly. If again, you need to add more chicken broth, do so.
Bringing it All Together
- Once the pasta is perfectly cooked and the sauce is thickened to your liking, reintroduce the cooked pancetta over the pan.
- Serve the Pancetta Sausage Pasta with a sprinkle of fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese on top for a burst of freshness and a hint of nutty, salty goodness.