I am so excited to bring you this twist on a classic Dominican dish.
In Dominican Republic we love our fried salami and cheese. We are literally obsessed with them. Normally we will have them with “mangú”, which is boiled green plantains that we then mash like you would potatoes. Add a fried egg to that and you have “Mangú con los tres golpes”. This recipe I have shared on this blog as well. You must check it out because it is delicious!
Today, I wanted to share how you can turn the fried salami and cheese into an amazing appetizer. I created a dipping sauce to go along with it. It turned out amazing!
Now, finding this salami and cheese is not always easy. If you live in an area that has a Latin market you may find them there. But no worries, because I can’t find them where I live even in our local Latin market, so I order online. And so far so good!
I prefer Dominican brands like “Campesino” and “Higueral” for my salami and when it comes to cheese, I prefer “Tropical – Queso de Freir”. But I found an alternative brand that is quite amazingly close called El Latino and I order online from them. The brands I prefer and grew up using don’t have online shopping. But trust me, El Latino salami and cheese are as close as it gets to the originals so I am very grateful for them.
Dominican Fried Salami and Cheese
- 1 lb Salami (aka Salchichon)
- 1 lb frying cheese
- 1 cup flour for dredging the cheese
- corn oil for frying
For the dipping sauce
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tbs parsley finely chopped
Make the dipping sauce
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Prep the cheese
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- On a plate, place the flour and lightly dredge each cheese cube. Set aside.
Prep the salami
- Cut the salami into cubes.
Frying salami and cheese
- In a nonstick skillet, heat about 1-1/2 inches of corn oil over medium heat.
- Fry the salami until a bit golden and keep warm on a serving platter.
- In the same oil, fry the cheese cubes.
- Once golden, place on the serving platter as well.
- Serve with the dipping sauce.
Leave a Reply